If you’ve been to any of our Endless Pizza Nights, you’ll know that nothing goes better with wine than pizza. Wine’s modest acidity is perfectly balanced by the tomato puree in pizza, which is also very acidic. The tannins in wine pair perfectly with cheese and complement the tomato acidity, and both wine and pizza have a harmonious fragrance. All this creates a delectable, mouth-watering combination that you can now recreate at home using Charles’ signature pizza dough recipe.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes: 2 (14- inch) pizza crusts
What You Need:
- 3 ½ – 4 cups of flour, plus more for rolling (for a crisper crust, use bread flour)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups hot water (heated to 110°F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
How to Make It:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Beat until the dough turns into a ball (for best results, use the hook piece).
- Don’t worry if the dough is sticky, just add flour one tablespoon at a time until it forms a solid ball.
- If the ball is too dry add, 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil, add the dough, then cover the dough with plastic wrap and set it in a warm area for about 1 hour to double in size.
- After an hour, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut into equal halves.
- Cover the halves with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
Your dough is now ready for you to be used as a canvas for your pizza night! Don’t forget the wine!